The three pillars of Lent: Prayer, Fasting & Almsgiving
As you journey through the season of Lent, we pray that you find these resources helpful. You may wish to have the daily scripture readings sent to your phone for you to reflect on throughout the day, read scripture or you may wish to read a daily reflection. You will find ideas and supports for these and more ideas in the links below.
Our Mission Statement is “to be transformed through an encounter with the Spirit of Truth and the Love of God” – how can Lent help us do this?
Online Lenten Resources:
- Vatican News: Pope Francis’ Message for Lent 2022
- America Magazine: Lent 2022
- Busted Halo: 2022 Lent Calendar and 2022 InstaLent Creative Photo Challenge
- CRS Rice Bowl: How to Practice Lent
- USCCB: Lent Resource Page & Calendar
- St. Thomas Aquinas, OP: Meditations for Lent
- Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose: Center for Education and Spirituality
- Dynamic Catholic’s Best Lent Ever
- Word on Fire: Daily Lent Reflections
- Loyola Press: Daily 3-Minute Retreat and How Can I Pray? – Daily Examen
- Sacred Space: Your Daily Prayer Online
- Liturgical Press: CONNECT! Sunday Reflection
- USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops): Daily Scripture Readings for Mass with option to email and listen to podcasts
- The Light is On: Guide to Confession
- USCCB Blog: Journey to the Foot of the Cross – 10 Things to Remember for Lent
- The Catholic Company: Everything you Need to Know About the Sacred Triduum
- Angelus Press: The History and Symbolism of Tenebrae
Smart phone applications:
- iBreviary – free, includes Liturgy of the Hours plus the Office of Readings, Daily Mass readings, Prayers and Rites.
- Click To Pray – the official prayer app of Pope Francis and the Holy See
- Dominican Compline (Night Prayer) – in English, chanted by the friars and brothers of the Central Dominican Province.
- Hallow – Catholic Prayer & Meditation app
- Laudate – free, includes Daily readings for Mass; Liturgy of the Hours, Complete text of New American Bible, Catholic Catechism, and more.
- iMissal – free, daily readings, Bible, rosary and other prayer meditations
- Rosary Under the Stars – Tuesdays at 7PM at the Highland Bowl on Campus
- Stations of the Cross – Fridays of Lent at 3PM in the chapel – on Good Friday we will meet at the east steps of Old Main and walk through campus
- Ignatian Mornings of Reflection: Saturday Mornings March 26, April 2, & April 9 from 9:30AM to 11AM in the Curry Classroom. Experience Lent & Holy Week in a new way by embracing kenosis: the self-emptying love of Jesus. Participants will be given the opportunity to: consider presentations on the parables, practice contemplative prayer, journal, and share in a small group. Please bring your Bible, a journal & pen. Parishioner Tom Cashman, a trained Ignatian Spiritual Guide, is the presenter for the series. Pre-registration is requested so that we can plan for your attendance. Send your name, email address & phone number to Sister Lynn SrLynn@uacatholic.org or call the office (520) 327-4665